Spasms of free thought

"It's the place where something's happening...though you may or may not be willing to watch it."

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Scout vs. Wylde: A comparison of two smashing bardettes by Suzanne Helen James

((Here is the Masterpost for everything else), including this)

"Ashley Wylde's Canadian cousin"
 
It’s the best way to describe her, honestly.

Scout, also known as Anthea Ballam, is the reigning Canadian Youth Slam poet champion of 2012. She’s been in the Slam poetry circuit since 2011 and has been recently been traveling all over Canada performing in competitions. I met her while in College last term and through her was introduced into the slam poetry world.

When I looked up at Ashley’s Tumblr, she reminded me so much of her…

It must be the swag. Or the adorkable. I don’t know.

Then, as an experiment, I decided to listen to their poetry side by side. Now honestly, Scout’s poetry log isn’t quite as extensive as Ashley’s as she hasn’t been filmed often, but she has her share of strong, dark poetry that I’ve heard her perform personally.

Now, I’ve listened to “Oh, I’m sorry” (by Ashley) and “I’m sorry” (by Scout) and both are unique mirrors of social justice told from two different points of view. Listen to Ashley’s first and Scout’s afterwards.

While Ashley’s piece was stronger in terms of subject matter and was delivered with an unapologetic ironic punch, Scout’s specialty is her mischievous and sarcastic delivery. I see it as a perfect response and counterpart to the former post.

Then I listened to another set of similar opposites; Wylde’s “The perfect amount of insane” and Scout’s “Sometimes.” (featured as the link of the video).

The first video is beautiful, slow, heartbreaking, straightforward and quotable as hell. Its gripping, powerful and the poem finds strength in trying to find mutuality within the addressee and the speaker who’re opening themselves.

In contrast, the latter’s poetry is brash, fast, jumbled and it makes you feel trapped and bombarded. Scout’s unpredictable pace alters between fast and slow stanzas as the speaker makes us see things from the inside out and how their own thoughts are the only thing that can’t betray them, that wouldn’t leave. By the time the poem ends, you’re left breathless but feeling a little better because you’re finally able to peek out and see what’s outside, just like the speaker.

Both poems share the same theme of openness and gripping onto that one person who will stand by you through anything you or the world will deal with. They’re two sides of the same coin.

But even with all of these similarities, a few more things have to be considered.

One: I have a personal bias to favor Scout because I’ve seen her live and her online repertoire isn’t as complete as it should be. My opinion isn’t the definitive one on her and while I’m sure there will be zealous fangirls, let’s be respectful of each poet and appreciate them, not belittle them.

Two: I’ve just discovered Ashley and I’m sure as I’ll get to know that side of her, I’ll get to appreciate her even further (though to be honest, she’s cute and adorable and just utterly well-built and well-rounded and cute and adorable and mildly reminds me of Brooke Brodack and she should flex and be more shirtless often)

And three, their styles are completely different, at least from what I’ve seen and that often determines their performances. (I will also admit that I had a brief but containable crush on Scout, so while my judgement towards her is unaffected by that, that doesn’t mean I won’t fangirl every now and then though she’ll never know this)

But all technicalities and form aside, I say go check them both out, especially Scout because she needs more love and Ashley could get to know her extended family.

And hey, you never know. Wouldn’t it be awesome if they performed together? (Also, I see them as a good brotp. Imagine the poetry they’d write together and the adorable times they’d spend together…)

Unfortunately though, Scout doesn’t have a Tumblr, no matter how much I kept pestering her about it, so the best way is to see her few videos on Youtube under the Scout Vancouver poetry slam tag. (Also, she plays original music, which you can look about here, here and here too. These are oldies though, and she’s yet to actively update her stuff in the last while, I think these are good starting pieces no. And her facebook is really private, so no, I won’t be giving those away.)

And even though you can find our beloved Ashley’s Tumblr and Youtube if you look at her track tag, I’ll give it here anyway.

Oh yes.

One more thing.

Did I mention these two were born ten days apart?

Scout’s birthday is on April 11th and Ashley’s on the 22nd.

A mild fun tidbit I wanted to share.

Thanks for reading and spread the love!

 ((This is dated by a few months earlier this year, so by the time I had written this, I believe she was already touring the country. She's back now and if you're ever in the Vancouver area, come see what other poets of her caliber can do on Monday nights at Cafe Deux Soleils, on 2550 Commercial Drive.))

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home